Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Custer? I barely know'er!

Hi everyone, sorry my BOLG POSTS have been so infrequent. It's hard to find time to write up a summary of stuff that happened while you're actually on the road. Not to mention the fact that my phone has been spilling the Pepsi when it comes to uploading photos since I left DC.

Anyway, I am writing this from my swanky downtown high rise in Custer, SD.

When I last left you I had just arrived at my parents house in Aberdeen, SD. I spent three days in town and had a great time with some of my friends who are still keeping it real there. On Sunday I went to a BBBQ where I got to meet a bunch of my friend's kids. It was great. Jimmy and I reunited the Beer Pong team from our High School reunion last summer to play a Cornhole-esque game that involved throwing washers into a wooden box with a metal cylinder in the middle. We each won $5 playing. I look forward to the next time we reunite and inadvertently achieve world domination. Thanks to STV and Chun as well, that was the most fun I've had in Aberdeen in a long time. It was great to see my Parents and Grandmother as well. Thanks Mom and Dad for the tasty food, letting me inconvenience you for a couple days, the storage space and everything else. I'm not just saying that because I know you read this, Mom. I truly mean it. You guys are the best.

 I didn't know how big my digs in Custer would be, so I left a bunch of stuff in storage. I only brought 16 LPs with me. All essentials. Can you guess them all ?(Hint:  Born to Run and Herbie Hancock's Headhunters aren't pictured)




There's a whole lot of nothingness between Aberdeen and the Rapid City area. This was taken from a "scenic overlook" on I-90. That's miles and miles of nothingness...

I made the trek to Custer from Aberdeen on Tuesday. The drive was pretty great. I haven't been to Western SD since I was 19. Living in DC for the last 6 years really made me appreciate the lack of any other cars on the road. There was a point between Redfield and Pierre where I didn't see another car for 90 minutes.

As soon as I passed through Rapid City, it started snowing. The temperature fell from 45 to 31 in a matter of minutes.


That sign in the distance says "Custer." Fuck you, Hollywood.

Almost as soon as the snow started, my favorite local radio DJ, SDPB's own Uncle Jimmo, played a really great Freddie Hubbard track and everything was OK. The drive made me feel like I was on the set of Rambo: First Blood.  I made it to my new home in one piece and everything is great. Two of my best friends, Chris and Lando were here to greet me. Awesome!

The Brewpub doesn't open until the 14th, but we've got a lot of work to do before then. We're cleaning kegs tomorrow so I have to go to bed. Goodnight!








No comments:

Post a Comment